Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

RSA Avocado Pasta

Last week Amelia and I were on a serious avocado kick.

Who are we kidding. I am always on a serious avocado kick. After making several of these, devouring this and inhaling guacamole we were running out of recipes. I remembered a pasta recipe that I had stumbled on long ago that I thought would be perfect for dinner that night. A creamy avocado pasta sauce with cilantro that is totally vegan?
Sign me up.
Now let me say, cooking in a kitchen outside your own is always tricky. It is hard to get used to oven temperatures, different tools and the strange set up of a foreign kitchen. Cooking in a kitchen with none of the tools used to make your recipes while using a counter top "stove" makes for quite a good story.
We didn't have the food processor that this recipe called for. We instead used a hand-crank food processor that the owner of the bed and breakfast we are living at has. This was my first experience using one of these and hopefully my last and it wasn't quite what I expected! I definitely got an arm workout and the sauce still was not "smooth and creamy" like described in the original recipe. In the spirit of Jos I decided to see the glass half-full and decided that the chunks gave the sauce character ;) And luckily the garlic we put in the sauce was already minced, at least the chunks didn't result in terrible breath!

Overall this was an amazing recipe that I will for sure make again. I would recommend it to anyone who loves pasta, avocados or creamy sauces.

Except maybe use a real food processor

RSA Avocado Pasta
Serves 2

1 large ripe avocado
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup heaping of chopped fresh cilantro (or coriander as they call it here)
Enough pasta for two people

Start by heating up water for the pasta in the kettle. If you are using a  hot plate like we did boiling water the normal way takes an awfully long time. Fill a pot with the hot water and put it on the burner to boil.
Scoop the flesh from the avocado and put it inside the food processor. Toss in the lemon juice, garlic and cilantro and start to crank your little heart out. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the food processor a few times throughout so you don't get any big chunks in the sauce.Once the sauce looks smoothish celebrate! That part is done.
Cook the pasta til al dente and drain it.
Scoop the sauce out of the food processor and on to the pasta and mix it up. Top with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. What to do if you don't like cilantro can you add some green onion or chives or fresh sage or parsley or lemom balm or a partridge in a pear tree? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the cilantro in it and I am normally a hater! But the original recipe has green onions in it too. I would say flat leaf parsley or basil would be your next best bet :)

      Delete
    2. Wait. I lied. No green onions. That is another recipe. Go for basil.

      Delete