Pages

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

11 Things

The best thing I ever ate: Thai Squash Pie
I was planning to write a post today on a weekly reflection. These are the posts with questions we have been asked to answer by CIDA. However, considering I just started work I thought I would give it a few more days and hopefully have a bit better answer.

Instead, I thought it would be fun to put up another post just about life and adjusting to living in a different country. I plan to do these frequently just for something fun to keep you up to date on my life.

1. Kale doesn't exist in South Africa. Crazy! No one I have met has even heard of my beloved green. Needless to say I am facing some pretty severe withdrawal. I have been filling it with the spinach here... which is also much different than home.


2. I have been having the hardest time picking up sidewalk traffic here. People don't walk on a set side when they are walking in a certain direction. You kind of just have to bob and weave around people. I have had quite a few sidewalk collisions, but I am getting better. I think this will make me really good at dodge-ball when I get back. Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughan, get ready to meet your match.

3. Winnie introduced me to a baked good here called a "Fat Cake" today. We all laughed to death at the name... and they laughed even more when my reply was "that does not sound appealing!!!". All my co-workers are teaching me a ton about South Africa, Xhosa and culture.
Fat Cake - Savoury Style
4. We still are looking for a place to live. With lots of leads that fizzled out we are having a tough time finding a home. However as we still don't have a home and summer is getting closer we are extending our living boundaries closer to the beach every day...long commutes in sun and sand are not as bad!

5. I am surprised daily by how even little things are different here. The other day Amelia and I were shopping for phone cases and I stumbled upon this fun difference. It may be Fever Pitch in Canada, but not in South Africa!

6. My love for tea and coffee lives on. My tastes have definitely changed since living in South Africa though. I am now drinking Rooibus tea all the time - South Africa is famous for it worldwide. And totally in love with the way they make coffee here. It is better than any coffee I have ever had in Canada*

7. I have given up hope on trying to not eat hummus while I am here. As soon as we find our new place I am buying a food processor and getting back into my normal eating routine. I also enjoyed this hilarious image from a manual I found in a store here. It shows how food processors can make any food smaller.

8. Every view here is stunning! It seems that everywhere is close to the ocean and the skies are always clear. Every time Ryan, Amelia and I are close to the water we are whipping out our cameras for more amazing shots. My camera is basically a fossil and STILL manages to take pictures that leave me unbelievably excited to be living here. Cheek out my last post for some great pictures

9. I am getting so excited for more weekend travelling and backpacking that I caved in and bought a buff. Anyone know cool ways to wear them? Not that I look like a dork in this picture or anything....

10. Tomorrow I get to go to an amazing dialogue which I will be blogging about later this week! Keep watching for updates on my amazing work placement! Things are going really well so far.

11. Amelia and I are making this tonight... peanut butter and jam braid. It helps you forget it about your bad hair day and 6 straight hours of rain.
Ohhhh yeah. 
*please don't disown me, I promise I will love Tim Hortons again


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a good time. We are looking forward to finding out more about your job as time goes forward. Stay safe!

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no kale?
    Are you kidding me? I can't even imagine the pain you are going through right now. This must have made your adjustment about a thousand times harder.

    Also.. You look like a total dork in that picture, as your BFF I am allowed to say such things. What is it that you are wearing though lol.

    Love ya!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete