Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Sexual Orientation Dialogue

Hello!

This is my first work related post and I can't tell you all how excited I am to tell you about it! I have actually been thinking about what I wanted to say all weekend... seriously.

Last Wednesday I went to a dialogue about sexual orientation put on by the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC). When Winnie told me I would be able to attend this I was over-the-moon excited. In my undergrad I took a few women's studies classes and was always very interested in the area of sexual orientation. In fact, one of the first questions I asked Winnie when we met was about the attitude towards the LGBTI community was in South Africa.I was very excited to learn about this community in greater detail.


On Thursday morning Amelia and I (she came with me) got up early, grabbed coffee and headed to the CGE.We read some background materials Khaya (a co-worker of mine who works with outreach and education) gave us before we left. Having some time before we headed to the dialogue gave me a chance to reflect on what I was expecting to learn at the dialogue. Winnie had told me that things regarding sexual orientation in South Africa were very liberal; but I had my doubts. From my experience lots of countries think they are more liberal than they are in some areas. I do not want to give the impression that I thought South Africa was oppressive, but I definitely wanted to learn more about the rights that the LGBTI community is entitled to. I imagined the dialogue would be a situation where certain people would be talking while others would sit and passively listen. I had no idea what types of people would be there or who would be speaking (other than the commissioner from the CGE). Overall, I was unsure of what to expect, but very excited to learn.
The front of the room
Amelia, Khaya, Kerry (another co-worker who works with legal matters) and I headed out to the Human Rights Commission's office (a short walk from the CGE office). When we arrived we signed in, had a coffee and got comfortable before the dialogue started. We were handed information packages with some pamphlets from the SAHRC, a schedule of the dialogue and a Stakeholder Engagement package. Amelia and I read through these while everyone else arrived. I learned that this would be much more conversational than I had originally thought. Following introductions, 4 presentations and a debrief there would be time for open discussion among all in attendance. We had a quick round of introductions and I learned there was a great variety of people from all over the Eastern cape. We learned that there would be four speakers speaking about four different topics. I circled that part in red on this picture.

All of the things included in the information package
List of Presentations
I was most excited for the presentations on Sexual Orientation and Culture as well as Sexual Orientation and Gender. I thought these would be the most interesting. Things got started and the first two speakers had not arrived yet. This meant that the Commissioner was up first. Her presentation was wonderful and I learned so much. I feel that after listening to just her part of the dialogue I had gained a much more comprehensive view of the attitudes surrounding sexual orientation in South Africa. Next, the Sexual Orientation and the Constitution presentation was given. This was also really interesting. We learned about the legislation behind sexual orientation equality, attitudes towards the LGBTI community in different areas of the country and the approaches that are being used to change attitudes. I really liked this presentation because the speaker talked a lot about problems that were specific to Africa. This gave me a better picture of what is happening in South Africa in the great context of the continent. In the first presentation I found myself comparing this situation to Canada, but I think it is easier to look at accomplishments and problems in the African context. Next, the Challenges Facing the ECLGBTI Sector presentation was given. I think the message in this presentation resonated the deepest with me. The speaker had an amazing presence and just said a lot of very meaningful things. In this presentation the idea that societies views of heteronormativity (the view that anything that is not heterosexual is not normal) are a great problem for the LGBTI community. The speaker said that this gives children a narrow view of what they can be and limits their exploration of themselves.

The Commissioner before her presentation
Unfortunately, the next presentation (Sexual Orientation and Culture) as well as the discussion of the issues presented was mainly in Xhosa. This was difficult, as I could not understand what they were saying and therefore could not participate. However, this did give me time to organize my thoughts and ideas on the three presentations in English. I would have enjoyed being able to listen and participate in the rest of the dialogue, but I feel that I learned more than I could have asked for in the other areas.


I thought I would break this down so all you readers can learn some facts as well. Here is a quick list of the most important things I took away from the dialogue:

  • In 15 out of 53 countries in Africa homosexuality is a crime. South Africa is not one of these countries, but in Uganda you can be sentenced to 14 years in prison for this.
  • In South Africa gay and lesbian marriages are legal (yay!). There are two separate acts, the Marriage Act and the Civil Union Act. The Marriage Act relates to heterosexual couples, as their definition of marriage states a partnership between a man and a woman. The Civil Union Act pertains to homosexual couples. With the Civil Union Act couples can choose to have their partnership called either a civil partnership or a marriage partnership.
  • In the Sexual Orientation and Gender presentation I learned about an argument surrounding these acts. Having two separate acts dealing with marriage is seen by some as "an apartheid way of thinking" as it shows segregation between groups. The Marriage Act could have changed the wording of one part so it could have pertained to all couples, but instead there was a separate act created. I found this argument especially interesting and well presented. I will be interested to see while I am here if there is any pushes to change this act as well as to learn more about this argument. 
  • Legally sexual orientation cannot be discriminated against in South Africa, but socially there are still issues with discrimination. There is social prejudice, violence and fear to be openly homosexual in some communities. There is also a practice called corrective rape, in which a woman who is a lesbian is raped to "correct" her sexual preferences. 
  • Some rural areas are headed by Traditional Leaders, many of whom have negative feelings towards homosexuality. Some of these communities have a very negative view on homosexuality and instances of discrimination and violence are much higher.
  • Some subcultures in South Africa believe they do not have gays and lesbians. However, this is more likely because in these communities there is such a strong stigma that members of the LGBTI community are simply to afraid to come out. 
  • There is a stigma towards the LGBTI community that being gay is "UnAfrican". This was talked about in several of the presentations and I thought it was very interesting. I feel that this is a very strong discriminatory tool, as it completely removes someone from their culture and country. I personally think this would be completely alienating and a very difficult stigma to push through. However, Abongile Matyila (one of the presenters) said something about this that really stuck with me. For the Gay Pride events that took place this past weekend they had called it "Proudly African". He explained the thought behind this was to say that living your truth and fulfilling your wants and needs does not make you "UnAfrican". He said, "Homophobia is UnAfrican, not homosexuality. Is it still African to hate people who don't feel the same as you?" Think about it. Feel it. Live it. Hate has no place in the definition of any country.
The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC)
Transforming Society
Securing Rights
Restoring Dignity
(Amazing Slogan)
I cannot explain how grateful I am to have been able to attend this conference. It was a life changing experience that taught me a lot. Thank you CGE and thank you CIDA!!

2 comments:

  1. awesome Hilary! really wish I could have come to that but I was super busy at work. a lot of the South African National Strategic Plan for HIV/AIDS is based on changing everyone's attitudes towards the HIV disadvantaged classes (men who have sex with men being one) and it's the only thing I'm in the dark about how they will accomplish, feel like that dialogue would have helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Ryan!
    They actually talked about HIV/AIDS at the conference. They explained that in Africa HIV is more of a heterosexual thing vs the States where it is stigmatized as a homosexual thing. They said that mostly the perceptions that it is a primarily homosexual STD here are completely false and a North American stereotype. It was super interesting.

    ReplyDelete