Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

11 Things

Picture taken by Amelia at Nahoon beach! Me, Kohestan, Ida and Amelia
1. I have not mentioned it yet on the blog, but we have amazing new roommates! Ryan, Amelia and I gave up looking for another place to live and settled into our bed and breakfast. Two weeks ago two girls from Norway named Ida (say it EE-dah) and Kohestan (We call her Kirsten) moved in. They are in East London doing a work placement for their social work program. I am happy to say they are the most amazing girls and we have been having so much fun getting to know each other. 

2.  I heard an Afrikaans band for the first time yesterday. They are really talented and something I will be downloading for sure. Their name is Van Coke Kartel in case you are interested in listening to them. 

3. After a long day the Gender Based Violence Conference I did not get home until 8 o'clock at night. I was completely exhausted and kind of cranky and then walked into my room and saw this.


My stuffed lion tucked in. It instantly made me smile and brightened my day. 

4. Two weeks ago Amelia and I went to a fashion show! WSU (the organization Ryan and Amelia are working with in  South Africa) had a fashion show for their second year students in the fashion program. We got to sit front row and saw some really amazing creations! I took a ton of pictures and here is a collage of some of my favourites.

5. Amelia and I checked out a new-to-us grocery store recently and were surprised to see the signs hanging over the aisles were in both English and Afrikaans. We thought this was pretty cool, except that it took me about 8 minutes of running through the store to finally find peanut butter. 


6. This. Actually. Exists. 


7. I went swimming in the ocean for the first time ever this weekend. I absolutely loved it, the scenery is so much more beautiful than the small lakes in Canada I am used to swimming in. 

Amelia, Kohestan and I at the beach!

8. This weekend I had dinner at a restaurant called Bora Bora right by the beach. Me and the girls sat on the balcony of the restaurant which was right over the ocean. It was really chilly but definitely worth it for the amazing view and wonderful smell.

View from my seat :)
9. Wondering why being a feminist and fighting for women's rights is still important? Read this article. It is about women's rights in a variety of areas and how they continue to come up in American political campaigns. It is a quick read, has some really great information and I would recommend it to all.  

10. This picture (below) is currently my computer background and becoming my absolute favourite quotation. I thought I would share and inspire your inner optimist. 

From Pinterest
11. This last one is kind of a big announcement! Due to some medical issues I am returning home to Canada next week to continue working from home while I get treatment. I hope your thoughts will be with me for my long solo journey home and you will continue to read my updates after I return home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment