Pages

Thursday, September 06, 2012

School Visit in King Williams Town: Part Two

If you missed part one just scroll down! I would have included this all in one, but it was way too long.

After Amelia and I looked around the school and met the students we quickly ate our lunch before the awards ceremony was starting at 2. When we entered the classroom we saw this beautiful artwork on the board.
We took our seats and waited for the ceremony to start. While waiting we were introduced to several people including local principals, a co-worker of Rose's and lots of teachers. We were at the school to celebrate the teachers being finished a four week course in teaching children effective English language skills. Rose had taught this program and the ceremony was where the teachers would receive their certificates.
I have been to four graduations, tons of honours awards ceremonies, an athletic banquet and had lots of other things recognizing my own accomplishments. None of these even compared to how proud I felt of the teachers at this reception.

I had never sang at a reception.
I had never danced at a graduation.
I had never had a speech move me to tears.
I had never felt so much love expressed for an instructor.
I have never felt so proud of someone else for their accomplishments.
Teachers receiving their certificates. That is Rose in the red skirt
I was so happy I was invited.
The ceremony had stories! Every few stories were told and it kept the mood light and fun. I am not used to so much laughing at something like this. It was so refreshing.
The MC telling a hilarious story
There was also a ton of singing. People in the audience would burst into song and everyone would stand up and join in and dance. I was told all about this before I came here but this was the first time I really experienced it. It was so cool that everyone just knew the words to songs (except us) and even sang them with amazing harmonies. My favourite of all the songs was on that the teachers sang for Rose. As she was going up to speak and address the teachers they sang a song of thankfulness to her, it was so moving.
In between some of the speeches there were also these wonderful performances by the students of the school. There were two dance groups (one all boys, one all girls) and two poems that were performed by girls. These performances were my absolute favouite part of the day. They were so creative and well-practised. The two girls that performed the poems seemed very introverted when I met them at first but transformed while speaking. They were so confident and expressive and it was made very clear that this was due to the hard work of the teachers.
The girls dance. The sang while performing it and had a boy classmate play the drum
One of the speeches, she was so full of emotion
The boys dance
This was such a supportive atmosphere and a really wonderful ceremony. At the end when all the teachers were receiving their certificates I was so sad that it would be over soon. We all stood and danced and sang the song "This Little Light of Mine".  This was exciting because I knew this song and I was able to join in! The speaker emphasized that we must all take what we have learned today and spread our light.
Two teachers with their certificates
Warning: Majorly cheesy part ahead.
The little girl who's performance made me cry!
Although I did not learn how to effectively teach children how to learn English I did learn a lesson in compassion and appreciation. I also learned how to really celebrate. Doing away with the formality of North American celebratory ceremonies would be great! I know I keep saying it, but have never felt so genuinely happy and proud for someone's accomplishments. This ceremony definitely sparked a light within me, and I will definitely be letting it shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment